Saturday 27 February 2016

First Light by Michele Paige Holmes (Review)

First Light by Michele Paige Holmes
Published in February 2016. | My rating: ★★★★☆


First Light is about Adrielle, a farmer girl, who ends up at the castle. On her way she learn about magic and curses.
I really don’t want to write a lot of what it is about, it’s fairly predictable as it is without me accidentally spoiling anything. Anyway, it’s an original story based on a lot of fairy tales, which honestly is all I ever wanted.


I need to say, the first 150 pages or so, I hated the way First Light was written. It felt a bit pretentious, with the choice of words and how the sentences were put together, like it was supposed to feel like it was written a long time ago. In the beginning, that annoyed me to no end, and I thought the whole thing felt so forced, but it grew on me. When I finished the book I was pleased with how it was written, and it felt right.


Adrielle then. She was a good character, a little dull around the edges, and maybe a little bit too much like many other characters in this genre. She was kind and trusting, which, made her a bit naive at some times, but she developed so well through the book.


I did not like the romantic plot very much. While the prince Adrielle fell for was, you know, charming and all, their relationship didn’t seem very sincere. Sure, they were adorable and loved each other more than anything, but I don’t even understand what made them fall in love. So, I’d definitely want some depth in their relationship. Still, very cute and very fairy like.

I’m looking forward to more character development in the next book, and to see more of this universe, and to learn more about Cecilia, who hands down was my favorite character. I’d recommend this book if you like an easy read, fairy tales and some cheesy romance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment